I'm not going to teach my kids Latin.

*gasp*

I was wondering if I can call myself a classical homeschooler any longer?

I know SWB is very sure in her take on the certain and in-depth study of Latin. However, this is one place where I have to concede that my life is busy and demanding and I have to prioritize what I do with my time. I don't know anyone who knows or studied Latin, so I am going to give this up.

However, starting in fourth grade and going until tenth, we're going to do Latin and Greek prefix, suffix and root study. They're going to learn verb declensions anyway when they study other languages, so I think this is a good plan. This way, they will expand their ability to puzzle out vocabulary and be well-rounded verbally.


We have been using English from the Roots Up for a while now and I am enjoying how easy it is. I bought a used copy and had to get it re-(spiral) bound at Fed Ex Office. It"s a no-prep kind of course (the best!).

Initially, I open to our next word and the kids colored the borders on their index cards while I introduced the word and we discussed the meaning. I let them use Sharpies (in our house they're called Off Limits Markers) to write the word and definition.

Later, they are doing the next word independently and are reading the lesson themselves. Each time they add a word I require them to review the old cards.

A friend of mine said her kids wanted to name their chicken "Phobos" the root word for phobia, which, obviously, means "chicken." Ha!

Here are the supplies to use English from the Roots Up:
Here are some other attractive-looking programs that you can investigate for yourself:  

I'm so pleased you are utilizing Classical Curriculum! Teresa (Tracy) Dear

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I just wanted to let you know that I have started to post Latin courses on Udemy. These classes would be a perfect fit for homeschoolers as I use the Henle series. I am a husband to the most awesome homeschooling mom of six children. I have been teaching high school French and Latin for the past 18 years and I have taught homeschool Latin and French on the side for the past 10 years.
    If you would like to pass on the link to my classes here they are:
    Latin II: https://www.udemy.com/latin-ii-for-homeschoolers/learn/#/
    Latin III: https://www.udemy.com/latin3-part1/learn/#/
    I am finishing up a course on Julius Caesar's Gallic war and another one for Latin I they should be up by the end of the summer
    God Bless
    Cedric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I just wanted to let you know that I have started to post Latin courses on Udemy. These classes would be a perfect fit for homeschoolers as I use the Henle series. I am a husband to the most awesome homeschooling mom of six children. I have been teaching high school French and Latin for the past 18 years and I have taught homeschool Latin and French on the side for the past 10 years.
    If you would like to pass on the link to my classes here they are:
    Latin II: https://www.udemy.com/latin-ii-for-homeschoolers/learn/#/
    Latin III: https://www.udemy.com/latin3-part1/learn/#/
    I am finishing up a course on Julius Caesar's Gallic war and another one for Latin I they should be up by the end of the summer
    God Bless
    Cedric

    ReplyDelete